This webinar will focus on the preparation of principals to meet the needs of each student, including those with disabilities and others who struggle in school. Nationally, and in some states, standards and competencies for principals are currently being revised, making this an opportune time to ensure that principals are well prepared to meet the needs of each student. This webinar will provide an overview of how changes in principal preparation standards leverage redesign efforts, and will discuss resources and support related to these required changes in leadership preparation programs.
Goals: Participants will gain understanding of:
- National standards and competencies for principal preparation from the National Policy Board for Educational Administration (NPBEA)
- Recently published Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) document that extends principal standards to address instructional leadership for students with disabilities and others who struggle in school
- Issues and approaches for refreshing educational leadership programs to prepare principals to meet the needs of each student with resources to support this work.
Questions that might be addressed to extend the discussion:
- What do principals need to know and be able to do to support the learning of each student, including those with disabilities and others who struggle in school?
- What are some strategies to incorporate standards/competencies into existing courses or refreshing preparation curriculum?
- What are some ways to ensure that cross-program expertise is utilized to support principal preparation?
- What resources are available from CCSSO, CEEDAR, NPBEA, and other sources to support this work?